Sunday 28 November 2010

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon

Ah. The anime of my childhood. I loved it. I loved the idea of strong girl soldiers fighting to defend the earth, loved their friendship, loved the story.


A story of reincarnated planetary warriors who could transform into powerful intergalactic fighters, with time travel and story references to astrology and Greek and Roman mythology, was great escapism.


The music of Sailor Moon was a great obsession for me. It still is. The score and songs are so iconic. I downloaded everything I could from sites dedicated to it and learnt to play some on the piano. Back when Napster was still used for free mp3 download, I found so many obscure pieces on there. Sailor Moon music played a huge part in leading me to anime music, and to J-Pop and J-Rock.


And then there was Naoko Takeuchi-san's original manga work and colour artbooks that she did for the series. I scoured everywhere to get my hands on the Cantonese version of the manga. The artbooks are now all out of print and surface on ebay now and again selling for hundreds of dollars.


Word has it that the anime is being re-aired in Japan and other places. Here's to another generation of girls (and boys!) who'll become fans of the ai no senshi.

Artbook images from Mangastyle © Takeuchi Naoko ~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment